(quotations are excerpts from BAGN constitution)
BAGN Mission Statement
“We, the Bengalees living in the Greater Nashville area and having roots in Indian subcontinent, decided to unite among ourselves for the purpose of celebrating common traditional festive occasions, to foster friendship, goodwill, and cooperation between ourselves and other members of the community at large. We have resolved to form an association by agreeing to and adopting the rules, principles, and objectives stated in” the Bengali Association of Greater Nashville (BAGN) constitution.
Our Purpose and Activities
- BAGN “is organized exclusively for charitable, religious, educational, and scientific purposes, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.”
- “BAGN will sponsor various cultural programs in a year, such as, picnic, festive celebrations, social and cultural programs, and volunteer services, as determined by the BAGN Coordinating Committee (CC) and or General Body. To ensure greater participation of the Bengali community of greater Nashville, e-mail communications should be sent about these programs to all members of the community, irrespective of the membership status.”
Frequently Asked Questions on BAGN
Information provided here are collected from BAGN Constitution
Q: What is the purpose of BAGN?
A: Here is an excerpt from BAGN Constitution that answers this question.
“We, the Bengalees living in the Greater Nashville area and having roots in Indian subcontinents, decided to unite among ourselves for the purpose of celebrating common traditional festive occasions, to foster friendship, goodwill, and cooperation between ourselves and other members of the community at large. We have resolved to form an association by agreeing to and adopting the rules, principles, and objectives stated in this constitution.
The purposes for which the Bengali Association is organized are exclusively charitable, literary, cultural, and educational in nature…. .”
Q: Who can be a BAGN member? What are the criteria?
A: Here is an excerpt from BAGN Constittution that answers this question.
A new category “Term Membership” is added and the category “Life membership” is depleted effective April 1, 2011. The new “Term Membership”
- will be valid for 10 years.
- be void if the term member fails to attend at least one BAGN sponsored event or meeting in three consecutive years. Any exception to this may be evaluated by current CC members.
- have all other benefits and privileges of Annual Membership.
- The Life Members of BAGN will continue to have their benefits and privileges. However their membership will be voided, if they fail to attend at least one BAGN sponsored event or meeting in three consecutive years. Any exception to this, including full re-payment of their original amount, may be evaluated by current CC members.
Any individual, irrespective of his/her age, color, race, ethnicity, religion, and country of origin, who is in agreement with the rules, bylaws, principles and objectives of the Association may become a
Life Member, Term Member, Annual Member, or a Student Member upon payment of appropriate dues. The membership dues for each year will be fixed by the General Body. Dependent members of the family or household of a Term Member (Family), Annual Member (Family), or Student Member (Family) are included in the membership of the Association.
Dependent members will include the following:
- Parents, who are of, around senior citizen age or older, or
- Children staying with the working parents and below 25 years of age.
Only adult members (eighteen years or older) are eligible to vote in the Association’s elections. “
Q: Who can vote in a BAGN election?
A: Only adult members (eighteen years or older) are eligible to vote in the Association’s elections. Besides life members, the members who have paid their dues by January 7 of the Fiscal Year will be voting members for the election of CC.
Q: What is the process of nomination besides being nominated by the Nomination Committee?
A: According to the BAGN Constitution Article 5: Election:
In addition to the slate of candidates nominated by the Nominating Committee, any General Body member can nominate other members for any of the seven positions in the CC, with the permission of the candidate whose names are proposed and must be seconded by another member of the BAGN. The Chairperson of the CC must receive all these nominations 30 days before the General Election Day.
Q: What is the fiscal year for BAGN?
A: Each Fiscal Year of the Association will begin on the first day of April and end the thirty-first day of March of the next year.